Photo: Professor David Alis, president of Université de Rennes 1, Professor Mustafa Babanlı, rector of the Azerbaijan State Oil and Industry University (ASOIU) and Professor Michel Deneken, president of Université de Strasbourg signing the memorandum of understanding for cooperation.
The delegation met Azerbaijan's Minister of Education, Mikayil Jabbarov and Professor Mustafa Babanlı, rector of the Azerbaijan State Oil and Industry University (ASOIU) and visited students of the French-Azerbaijani University (UFAZ) on Wednesday 11th January 2017. During the visit to the university, a memorandum of understanding for cooperation was signed by the UFAZ project partners: Professor Michel Deneken, President of Université de Strasbourg, Professor Mustafa Babanlı, Rector of the Azerbaijan State Oil and Industry University (ASOIU) and Professor David Alis, President of Université de Rennes 1.
Discussions were held with the First Lady of Azerbaijan, Mehriban Aliyeva, who expressed her confidence that this visit would contribute to reinforcing Franco-Azerbaijanis relations.
The UFAZ was inaugurated in September 2016 during a ceremony presided over by the Republic of Azerbaijan's Minister of Education Mikayil Jabbarov. This new university is destined to be Caucasia’s European university where Azerbaijani and French scientists teach Azerbaijani students in English and in French, and over time, to students throughout the region.
This project, initiated and backed by the presidents of the French Republic and the Republic of Azerbaijan, and coordinated by Université de Strasbourg (Unistra) and the Azerbaijan State Oil and Industry University (ASOIU), marks a new era in the development of relations between the two countries.
The university is the extension of an already strong scientific and technological collaboration between Azerbaijan and France, and will be beneficial for both countries
Courses at the UFAZ, which will be taught in French and English, are primarily aimed at Azerbaijani students with a scientific background who have passed the national entrance exam. Particular emphasis will be put on the fields of science and new technologies, preparing highly-trained specialists who could contribute to Azerbaijan’s social and economic development.
Some double degrees (French and Azerbaijani) are available in the following subjects:
- Chemical engineering (Université de Strasbourg / ASOIU)
- Computer science (Université de Strasbourg / ASOIU)
- Geophysics (Université de Strasbourg / ASOIU)
- Instrumentation for Oil Exploration and Exploitation (Université de Rennes 1 / ASOIU)
Université de Rennes 1 will be involved in training in the field of oil exploration and exploitation. Azerbaijan has an important energy industry with significant oil and gas production. This industry is strategic for a country which lies between Europe and Asia.
UFAZ 2016 / 2017 in figures:
- 141 students were selected from 310 candidates after an entrance exam organised on 27th July 2016 in Baku.
- 4 academic fields: 34 students enrolled in Chemical engineering (ASOIU / Unistra), 34 enrolled in Computer science (ASOIU / Unistra), 35 enrolled in Geophysical engineering (ASOIU / Unistra) and 38 enrolled in Oil exploration and exploitation (ASOIU / Université de Rennes 1).
- 118 students with places funded by the Republic of Azerbaijan government throughout their four year bachelor’s degree and 23 fee-paying students.
- 15 lecturers including 2 permanent professors seconded by Université de Strasbourg and 13 part-time local professors.
- 5 full-time members of administrative staff including a director, a general secretary, an accountant, a human resources manager and a registrar.
Read more about the delegation visit in French and English.
More about the meeting with the First Lady of Azerbaijan, Mehriban Aliyeva can be found in French here.
An article about the UFAZ in Russian can be found here.