Formalities and enrolment

Whether you're part of an exchange programme or an individual student, here's the information you'll need for your enrolment at the university, language requirements and your arrival in Rennes!

Students at Université de Rennes 1 © Gaëlle Le Page
  1. Exchange programmes
  2. Individual students
  3. Enrolment procedure
  4. Where to get advice and information

Exchange programmes


  • As an exchange student, you’ll stay enrolled at your home institution, where you pay tuition fees.
  • You won’t have to pay tuition fees at Université de Rennes 1.
  • The selection procedure takes place at your home university.

Your diploma

  • A contract is signed between you, your university and Université de Rennes 1.
  • At the end of your period of study at the university, provided that you’ve obtained the corresponding ECTS credits, your diploma will be validated in your home institution.
  • You won’t obtain a diploma from Université de Rennes 1.

Arrival at Université de Rennes 1

  • Thanks to a welcome procedure set up for students on an exchange or specific programme at Université de Rennes 1, you’ll receive a personalised welcome on arrival in Rennes.
  • A room will be reserved for you in the university halls of residence.

French language requirements

  • Even though you're enrolled in a programme taught in English, you'll be able to take French classes in order to fully enjoy your stay in France.
  • All students on an exchange programme are entitled to 44 hours of free French classes (FLE) and can participate in the various welcome days and evenings.

Individual students


  • As an individual student, you will be responsible for your own application, and will therefore need to be determined and convinced that your project will succeed.

French language courses

  • Courses in French are open to any students with the required level of French.
  • For students in economics, if you haven’t got the required level of French, you will be able to follow a preparatory course (DU or diplôme universitaire) which will allow you to apply for a master’s degree taught in French.
  • Alternatively, you can choose to do a course taught exclusively in English.

Before you apply, here’s some advice:

  • Think carefully about your study and career plan
  • Start preparing your stay well in advance
  • Gather together all useful information concerning degree programmes, diplomas and the required language level
  • Find out about application requirements (according to the level of study) and enrolment procedures
  • Think about the practical aspects of your stay

Enrolment procedure

Enrolment procedure depends on your nationality and the country you reside in.

  • If you live in one of the 36 countries in below, you must use the Campus France online application procedure, CEF. You need to go through this procedure if you want to obtain a student visa.
Algeria Argentina Benin Brazil Burkina Faso Cameroon
Chile China Colombia Comoros Congo (Brazzaville) Ivory Coast
Egypt Gabon Guinea India Indonesia Iran
Japan Lebanon Madagascar Mali Morocco Mauritania
Mauritius Mexico Peru Senegal Russia South Korea
Taiwan Togo Tunisia Turkey USA Vietnam
  • If you are a national of a member state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), you may apply directly to the university by contacting the registrar's office of the faculty in which you would like to study. You don’t have to follow any particular process to enter French higher education beyond the first year. You are not even required to obtain a visa.  

If you’d like to enter the first year of higher education in France, you must follow the online post-baccalauréat admission process ("Admission post-bac," APB). The same process is required of all French students.

  • If you live in an EU country but are not a citizen, you will have to apply for a student visa at the French consulate in the country in which you reside. Even if the CEF procedure is used in your country of origin, you do not have to return there in order to apply for admission to a French institution of higher education. 
  • For all other countries, if you’d like to enter French higher education in the first or second year of university study (licence level), in the common first year of study for the health professions (medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, midwifery) or in the first year at a national school of architecture, you must submit an application for preliminary admission (DAP, demande d'admission préalable) to the cultural service of the French embassy in your country of residence.
    For admission to the first year of all other postsecondary programs, you must use the online "Admission post bac" system.

Where to get advice and information

The website Campus France, a French agency for the promotion of higher education and international mobility, can also provide you with practical information, particularly concerning the application procedure.

The CMI (Centre de mobilité intérnationale de Rennes) bringing together 10 higher education institutions in Rennes, provides incoming or outgoing students, researchers and teachers with services to help them with their mobility. You can consult their guide for foreign students here.

For enrolment information:

  • exchange programme students should contact the International Affairs Department at
  • individual students should contact the registrar's office of the faculty in which they would like to study.