International students administrative "to-do" list

In order to have everything sorted out for your stay in France, you'll find hereby a list of administrative formalities to be done upon your arrival in Rennes

students in front of a laptop
  1. Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC)
  2. Health care registration
  3. Complementary Health insurance
  4. Validating your student visa (International Students outside EU)

Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC)

Once admitted in a degree programme at Université de Rennes 1, French and Foreign students (except students coming through an exchange programme) have to pay the The CVEC, the student and campus life contribution.The amount of the CVEC for the 2020/2021 academic year is €92. The amount of this contribution, which has to be paid once per year, is revaluated each year.

  1. Check wether you have to pay the CVEC
  2. Register at the site
  3. Connect to the dedicated CVEC site 
  4. Enter the city in which you are studying and pay the CVEC with a debit or credit card.
  5. Download and retain the proof of payment, which you will need to show when you register at Université de Rennes 1

More information about CVEC > Do you have to pay the CVEC? 

Health care registration

General information about Healthcare registration (Campus France) 

Registration is free. You must complete your registration immediately after the registration to Université de Rennes 1 and after the validation of your visa (to get help in order to obtain a visa, you can contact the International Centre of Mobility of Rennes, the CMI). Once you are covered by the general social security system, your medical fees are reimbursed up to 60%.

​If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you don't need to register to the French social security, and you can use your current card to receive care in France. This card is issued in your country.
International students must register to the French general social security system. Registration is done online by logging in to the website of the health insurance dedicated to foreign students:



Complementary Health insurance

Complementary Health insurance to top up the reimbursments isn't mandatory, but it is highly recommended. In Rennes, you can get complementary Health Insurance throught several Health agencies :


Validating your student visa (International Students outside EU)

If you are an International Student and if you had to get a visa in order to come and study in France (see the the French governmental dedicated website> Do I need a visa?), you have to validate your visa once arrived in France, three months after your arrival the latest. The process can be done entirely online.

The International Mobility Centre CMI is a Helpdesk dedicated to International Students, common to several universities and Higher Education Institutions located in Rennes, among which Université de Rennes 1, that can help you validate you visa, and give you all the information you need for your stay in Rennes.


Last updated: AMMon, 13 Jul 2020 10:03:47 +0200Mon, 13 Jul 2020 10:03:47 +0200am20