Lymphoma is the sixth most frequent cancer in France. The mechanisms of the lympocytes proliferation, cells involved in the human body immune system are still unknown. The disease has a slow evolution and can be slowed down by treatments, but it remains incurable. In University of Rennes 1, Karin Tarte and the Honeycomb team from the mix research unity MICMAC (University of Rennes 1/EFS/Inserm) try to better understand the functioning of those lymphomes. In this regard, they take active interest in not only cancerous cells, but also the surrounded ones forming the "tumoral niche".
Indeed for some years cancer studies haven't just targeted internal deregulations of cancerous cells but also the alteration in their microenvironment. In the case of follicular lymphoma, which deeply interests MICMAC unity, the tumoral niche is compounded of stromal cells: the cells forming the tonsil and ganglion architecture.
Karin Tarte and the MICMAC team developed a methodology of enzymatic dissociation to extract and separate the cells while keeping them alive. In the long run, the understanding of those stromal cells, of their function and their interactions with the cancerous cells will allow a better understanding of the disease. It'll help improving treatments, such as immunotherapy.
Frédéric Mourcin, Léa Verdière, David Roulois, Rada Amin, Claire Lamaison, Vonick Sibut, Brice Thamphya, Céline Pangault, Céline Monvoisin, Sarah Huet, Marine Seffals, Sylvain Baulande, Fatima Mechta-Grigoriou, Patricia Legoix, Delphine Rossille, Marion Guirriec, Simon Léonard, Guillaume Cartron, Gilles Salles, Thierry Fest, Karin Tarte
Immunity, 2021, ISSN 1074-7613 - DOI: 10.1016/j.immuni.2021.05.019
- UMR 1236, Université Rennes, INSERM, Etablissement Français du Sang Bretagne, 35043, Rennes, France
- Pôle Biologie, CHU Rennes, 35033 Rennes, France
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon I, Equipe Lymphoma Immuno Biology, Equipe Labellisée par la Ligue Nationale contre le Cancer, 69921 Oullins, France
- Hospices Civils de Lyon, Service d’hématologie biologique, 69395 Pierre-Bénite, France
- UMS Biosit, Core Facility H2P2, Université Rennes, INSERM, CNRS, Rennes, 35043, France
- Institut Curie Genomics of Excellence (ICGex) Platform, Institut Curie Research Center, PSL Research University, 75005, Paris, France
- Institut Curie, Stress and Cancer Laboratory, Equipe Labellisée par la Ligue Nationale contre le Cancer, PSL Research University, 26, rue d’Ulm, 75248 Paris, France
- Department of Hematology, CHU Montpellier, 34000, Montpellier, France
- Lymphoma Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA